You will be part of an enthusiastic team of volunteers enhancing the visitor experience of Amesbury History Centre
• Welcome visitors into the history centre
• To be friendly and informative
• Engage with visitors and answer questions about the exhibits (add an extra layer of information to the visitor experience)
• Direct visitors around the rest of the exhibition space
• To assist visitors including families and children with exhibition interactives
• To maintain a level of tidiness and order around the history centre
• To assist with the flow of visitors (particularly in busy periods) through the history centre
• To be vigilant at all times with regard to safety and security with the collection and visitors
• To understand and comply with the fire evacuation procedure
• To undertake visitor surveys on behalf of the history centre
• An interest in the Amesbury History Centre and its collections and exhibitions (and a willingness to learn about this)
• Enjoyment of working with the public
• Ability to communicate effectively with different audiences
• Polite and approachable
• A reasonable level of physical dexterity
(NB this role will involve standing for periods of time and walking around the museum and includes going up and down stairs).
Training will include the following:
• Tour of the history centre
• Comprehensive Induction process including
• Role specific training which includes Fire and Security Training
• Regular Briefings on exhibitions
• Visitor Services training
• Accessibility training
Time Commitment Requested
Engagement Volunteers will work in shifts of 3.0 hours in duration. From Monday - Saturday the shifts will be from 10.00am-1.00pm and 1.00pm-4pm.
A regular weekly or fortnightly shift is required to ensure skills are maintained.
There will be a trial period of 3 months to ensure that this is the right role for you.
Amesbury History Centre is committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all and welcomes applications from all volunteers with suitable skills and interests.