You will assist audiences in engaging with the history centre and its collections through our year long programme of events both at the history centre and across Wiltshire. You will also possibly get involved with wider history centre marketing such as leaflet and poster distribution.
To support our programme of family events throughout the year delivered at the history centre – this includes archaeological events and family fun days during school holidays. Events can include craft activities, storytelling, drama and music. Main duties will include:
• Setting up the event space
• Supporting families in the activity
• Keeping the event space clean and tidy throughout the day and the equipment well stocked
• Possibly documenting the event through photography
• Possibly carrying out evaluation of the event
• Clearing up the event space at the end of the day
To support our programme of outreach events – which could include attending History Festivals and community events, such as Amesbury Carnival. Main duties will include:
• Helping to manage a stall with promotional material
• Assisting with the set-up and take down of the stall
• Interacting with the general public to promote the history centre
• Engaging the general public with artefacts from the collection
• Interacting with family groups through quizzes and ‘make-and-take’ activities
To support history centre marketing:
• Assisting with leaflet and poster distribution at events and around Amesbury to publicise the history centre
• Experience and enjoyment of working with children and families
• Enjoyment of family events such as craft activities, storytelling, drama and music
• Ability to communicate effectively with different audiences (e.g. children of different ages and abilities; parents and carers)
• Ability or willingness to learn about Amesbury History Centre and its displays
• Reliability and a friendly nature
• A reasonable level of physical dexterity
(NB this role will involve standing and carrying material for setting up sessions or stalls)
Training will include the following:
• Tour of the History Centre
• Comprehensive Induction process covering the fire evacuation procedure and responsibilities of volunteers
• Event specific training will be given by the member of staff or artist leading the session
Time Commitment Requested
We are flexible with the time that volunteers can commit for this role. You will be added to a list of Events Volunteers and will be emailed when an event is approaching to see if you are available to help.
We would however ideally welcome an initial commitment of 6 months.
There will be a trial period of 3 months to ensure that this is the right role for you.
Amesbury History Centre is committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all and welcomes applications from all volunteers with suitable skills and interests.